Medical Cannabis Businesses
The City of Nelson has implemented regulations for medical cannabis businesses in order to reduce the community impacts of these businesses. The City's regulations are for the businesses selling cannabis. They do not legalize or permit the sale of cannabis; this is the jurisdiction of the Federal Government.
All Cannabis-related businesses must obtain a Medical Cannabis Business Licence and follow the regulations set out in the Medical Cannabis Business Licence Bylaw Number 3363, 2017 (PDF) and Zoning Bylaw 3199, 2013 (see Zoning Amendment (Cannabis-Related Business), Number 3368, 2017 (PDF) ). In addition, Cannabis-related businesses must also receive a Temporary Use Permit for this use.
Please note: as of September 20th, 2017, the City is not issuing new Medical Cannabis Business Licences.
Contact Development Services for more information.
About Medical Cannabis
Medical cannabis is regulated by Health Canada. Under current regulations medical cannabis can be prescribed and then ordered from a licensed producer. Mail order is the only approved way to purchase medical cannabis. Although some businesses are currently selling cannabis, none have a Health Canada licence that permits this. The federal government has indicated that they will be exploring options to legalize cannabis and have announced their intention to introduce legislation this spring.
In recent years, there has been a significant increase in the number of cannabis-related businesses operating in the City of Nelson. There are currently 6 businesses known to be operating. Two of these businesses are operating on Baker Street.
Cannabis-related Businesses are permitted in the C1 and MU4 zones with the following restrictions:
- A total of 6 Cannabis-related businesses are permitted;
- A Cannabis-related Business located in the C1 zone is not permitted within 300 meters - running east and west, of the nearest property line of a site containing another Cannabis-related business;
- A Cannabis-related Business located in the C1 zone is not permitted within 150 meters - running north and south, of the nearest property line of a site containing another Cannabis-related business;
- In the MU4 zone a Cannabis-related Business is not permitted within 150 meters of the nearest property line of a site containing another Cannabis related business;
- a Cannabis-related Business is not permitted within 80 m of the property line of a site containing a Public Education Service (school K-12), but excluding community colleges, universities, and technical and vocational schools; and
- A Cannabis-related Business is not permitted within 80 m of the property line of the site containing the Nelson and District Community Complex or the Nelson and District Youth Centre.